Oaty Salmon and Sweet Potato Fishcakes
Fishcakes are a British favourite that more often than not can be purchased at takeaways or pre-made at any local supermarket. However, buying them in these formats can often result in unnecessary amounts of processed oil, salts and flavourings. This recipe has taken out the oil and salt and replaced it with omega 3 filled salmon, fiber rich sweet potato and cholesterol busting oats!
2 fillets of salmon (skin removed), chopped into small squares
8 spring onions, chopped thinly
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into squares
1 tsp of ground black pepper
1 tbsp of fresh or dried dill
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp plain flour
2 handfuls of oats, blitzed into fine crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/gas mark 6.
2. Once the potatoes have been chopped into small squares, boil for 15 mins or until tender and leave to cool ready to be mashed.
3. Mash the potatoes and mix with the salmon, spring onion, dill, black pepper and a pinch of salt until well combined.
4. Next, get 3 bowls and place the flour into bowl 1, beaten egg into bowl 2 and oats into bowl 3. Divide the fishcake mixture into 4, roll into balls and flatten slightly.
5. Dip each fishcake into the flour, followed by the egg and lastly the oats. Place onto a lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until the crumbs have turned golden.
6. Serve with a salad or seasonal vegetables.